At the RNOH we pride ourselves on being a responsive organisation; as well as being told when we do things well, we also need to know when things don’t go so well.

You can help us by letting us know about a problem as soon as it happens. We use information from patient complaints and feedback to improve our services and ensure lessons are embedded within the organisation. This information is shared across the Trust and at key meetings.

If you are not happy with your NHS treatment or any matter related to the service you receive, it is helpful for our staff to be aware to try and help you. Please ask to speak as soon as possible with the matron, ward manager or departmental manager where the issue occurred. If you are not satisfied following your contact with these key members of staff, you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who can advise you on the complaints process (see below for contact information).

The complaint should be made, in writing, no more than 12 months after the event(s) in question or from the date that the issues in question became apparent. However, it is advisable that complaints are made as soon as possible so that people's recollection of events is clear.

Once a written complaint is received, the relevant department is identified to investigate the complaint. Following the investigation, the complainant is provided with a written response to each of the issues raised including, where applicable, actions to put things right and improve patient experience. We endeavor to provide this response within 25 working days of receiving the written complaint.

See the bottom of this page to view examples of how real complaints have been managed at the RNOH and what procedures have been put in place as a result.

By post

Complaints and PALS Service
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust
Brockley Hill

By Telephone

020 8909 5717 / 5439 / 5741

By Email

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If a complainant remains dissatisfied with the outcome of resolving their complaint using the RNOH Complaints and PALS service, they are entitled to request that the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) considers the complaint. The request should be received by the PHSO within one year of making the complaint. The PHSO can be contacted in the following ways:

By post

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

By Telephone

PHSO helpline: 0345 015 4033

By email

For further information, please visit the PHSO website.

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) can help people to make a complaint or express a concern about NHS services. You can contact them on their helpline 0845 120 3784. They provide an independent, free and confidential service. They can also help you to compose your letter or complaint should you have difficulty in writing or expressing your concerns.

If you feel that you have received unsatisfactory clinical care and wish to pursue compensation, you can contact an organisation called Action Against Medical Accidents on 0845 123 2352. They will provide you with confidential advice and support.